Terms of reference
Senior Expert for Sustainable Finance Promotion & Support
The UN Climate Change and its regional collaboration centers (RCC) are supporting efforts to substantially scale up finance and investment in contributing to the objectives of the Paris Agreement, to integrate as rapidly as possible, the goals described by Articles 2, 4.1, and 7.1 into the conduct of all relevant economic and social development activities at the country level. An important part of this support is project level and programme finance that is aligned with the long term of objectives of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
UN Climate Change and RCC has a long history of providing promotion and support for climate mitigation projects in emerging and frontier markets, particularly in carbon finance – and as neutral intermediaries are increasingly asked to facilitate all stages of the project finance cycle. This has increased the sharing of experience, reduced barriers to access finance and lowered entry costs. It has also attracted new investors and helped finance stranded projects, helped launch new funds and credit enhancements, and matched up carbon finance. The promotion and support typically provided includes the demand-side tasks:
- Assisting governments to actively promote low carbon and climate resilient investments in their countries and disseminate information on their enabling investment environments to investors and other market players;
- Make it easier for financiers to find markets, identify co-financiers to form consortia, access project development funding to support investment-mature projects, and provide access to risk mitigation instruments and help structure projects and financing;
- Helping to provide project owners with increased visibility for their projects among financiers and other market players, making it easier to identify relevant financiers, advisors, service providers for specific needs including through targeted engagements and convening of regional or national green investment catalyst roundtables (GIC-RTs);
- Working with financial institutions (often together with commercial banks, financial intermediaries, bilateral funds, regional, multilateral development banks and the Green Climate Fund) on mobilizing private capital, assisting on guarantee and credit enhancement, launching if support platforms for finance and investment and designing climate, green and sustainable loan and investment frameworks and procedures.
In this context, through RCC Kampala, the Sustainable Development Mechanism (SDM) programme of UN Climate Change is seeking an expert in the promotion and support of sustainable finance. The expert will form part of a small team responsible for sustainable finance action for all RCCs on demand-side finance and investment promotion and support. The expert will work under the guidance of the Director and Manager SDM and direct supervision of the Programme Officer. The expert will be contracted by RCC Kampala host partner EADB and required to be located at any of the RCCs and in Bonn as required.
As per the mandates provided by the CDM Executive Board and for the Global Climate Action work on finance, in cooperation with teams and partners, the function includes:
- Facilitate contact networks in the related industrial and financial community (solutions from new and existing public and private financing partners including MDBs, IFIs, commercial, regional and national development banks, foundations, donors, national governments and institutional investors);
- Track developments and monitor target markets, develop and maintain a network of private promoters, borrowers and financial institutions;
- Identify and originate and close funding opportunities that best meet objectives;
- Prepare presentation materials, draft reports and developed proposals;
- Prepare engagements and green catalyst events, outcomes and press releases;
- Contribute to the development of suitable financing structures and funding proposals;
- Screen proposals and develop investment frameworks for clients;
- Support and facilitate studies, both with and without the help of external consultants;
- Proactively contribute to the development of the support on finance; propose and implement deliverables with other service providers and partners where appropriate
Successfully deliver the following deliverables:
- Demonstrated sustainable-, green-, climate- and or innovative finance (crowd etc.) of 2 or more projects or programmes;
- Development and delivery of a green lending and debt programme and / or procedures for DFI clients (e.g. EADB, IDBZ, UDB etc.);
- Development and delivery of a suitable financing structure with intermediary clients (FONSIS, B&M etc.);
- Development and delivery of a funding structure for DFI clients mentioned above on finance for climate;
- Development of funding proposals and acquisition of funds and / or pro-bono or co-funded services (from public or private sources) for the continuation of the work, to potentially incl. a “catalytic investment fund” to leverage private sector capital for high-priority, transformative deals where first-loss or capital for incentive payments is lacking;
- Delivery of 2 GIC-RTs in the RCC Kampala region.
- University degree, ideally at Masters level, in Finance/Business or any related subject
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, preferably in corporate banking/finance and/or high yield/sub-investment grade debt and/or mezzanine financing as well as venture capital and/or private equity funds and/or philanthropic funds, development-, climate- and/or carbon finance and funds;
- Strong technical expertise in financial analysis/modelling as well as experience in assessment and design of financial structures and lending facilities, including credit enhancement;
- Proven business development and or investment promotion achievements
- Experience in responding to and processing proposals from potential clients and converting them into meaningful work proposals or action plans;
- Experience in climate policy, including with representatives of government and non-government;
- Good computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Excellent knowledge of English, Fluency or a good knowledge in other languages would be an advantage;
- The CFA qualification or proven business development or investment promotion achievement would be a distinct advantage.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organizational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organizational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organization whose mission is to support implementation of the Paris Agreement and SDGs and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behavior with the organization’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organization’s mission, policies and rules.
How to apply
Candidates, whose qualifications and experience match what we are looking for, please send your resume and cover letter to RCC Kampala (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 25th, 2018. Please indicate “Senior expert green finance” in your email subject.
Assessment criterion, based on desk based assessment:
(1-5 points) University degree, ideally at Masters level or higher, in Finance/Business or related subject
(1- 5 points) At least 3 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, preferably in Corporate Banking/Finance and/or High Yield/Sub-Investment Grade Debt and/or Mezzanine Financing as well as Venture Capital or Private Equity funds or with development finance;
(1-5 points) Strong technical expertise in financial analysis/modelling;
(1-5 points) Experience in assessment and design of financial structures and lending facilities, including credit enhancement;
(1-5 points) Proven business development and or investment promotion achievements;
(1-5 points) Proven experience in soliciting and closing funded collaboration projects in finance;
(1-5 points) Proven experience in responding to and processing proposals and converting them into meaningful work proposals or action plans;
(1-5 points) Experience in climate policy, including with government and non-government representatives;
(1-5 points) Good computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office;
(1-5 points) Excellent knowledge of English, Fluency or a good knowledge in other languages would be an advantage;
(5 points) The CFA qualification