Duty station: Uganda
Reporting to: Treasurer
The Treasury Officer is responsible for implementing approved resource mobilization initiatives of the Bank, proactively monitoring and managing the Bank’s liquidity portfolio to enable EADB achieve its financial objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather information daily, prepare multi-currency market reports and propose appropriate currency and interest rates for the Bank.
- Determine and advise management on the Bank’s daily cash and liquidity position.
- Prepare and update exchange rates and interest rates into the operating system
- Provide input into the monthly, quarterly and annual Treasury business plan
- Deal in interbank foreign exchange market, money markets and investment in Government securities as per internal guidelines
- Process and release all deal tickets relating to FX and MM transactions to the Back office
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly trade reports
Fund mobilization and revenue generation:
- Initiate strategies to raise funds from international and domestic capital markets.
- Prepare investment and capital replenishment proposals in respect to EADB’s capital increase and replenishments of its concessional loan window, the Social Development Fund.
- Manage cash and investments to maximize income and minimize costs in line with Bank Treasury policy.
- Monitor short-term funding requirements for bridge-financing and market presence purposes.
- Initiate and develop new financial products to grow treasury income.
- Manage working capital and cash resources in a manner that optimizes returns whilst ensuring that funds are available to meet operating and business requirements of the Bank as they fall due.
- Manage EADB’s investment portfolio and ensure that its liquidity requirements are met at all times.
- Propose ways of optimising cash usage in the Bank.
- Design daily, weekly and monthly cash flow projection of the Bank.
- Analyse and manage the currency and interest rate risks of the Bank
- Structure derivative products for risk management
- Currency exposure management – proactively manage FX positions through daily monitoring of the Bank’s FX exposures to minimize the impact on the trading result and balance sheet of the bank from currency rate fluctuations
- Execute swap transactions to hedge EADB’s currency and interest exposure
- Manage and hedge the risks arising from foreign currency flows and transactions
- Ascertain that the bank is receiving accurate foreign exchange rates for its currencies
- Analyse Bank fees and adopt controls to minimise cash losses through Bank charges
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships with banks and counterparties to ensure proactive and comprehensive coverage across various markets and products
Research and advisory services:
- Review and recommend best practices for the management of the Bank’s policies on liquidity, develop strategies for income management, currency management practices and loan pricing
- Prepare daily and weekly management reports on liquidity and rate outlook
- Inform and provide recommendations to the Treasurer of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in areas of responsibility
Perform any other duties assigned by Management
Qualifications and Experience
- A good first degree in either Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or other quantitative disciplines relevant to the position from a recognised University;
- Professional qualifications such as CPA, ACCA or CFA;
- Relevant Post graduate qualification such as an MBA or Master’s in Finance;
- Must have a ACI dealers certificate;
- Minimum of 5 years similar or relevant experience in a large commercial bank, with at least 3 in treasury trading environment;
- Deep knowledge of treasury products, services and strategies of the back office operations;
- Ability to work in a dealing room environment with trading ability;
- Working knowledge of and ability to assist the treasurer in the identification and implementation of arbitrage opportunities; and
- Ability to formulate business strategies and implement.
- Ability to take initiative and act decisively;
- Faster learner with attention to detail;
- Good negotiation skills;
- Logical thinking and high level of numeracy;
- High level of integrity and discipline;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Organisation understanding
- Business orientation; and
Clean track record with evidence of delivering results.