Duty station: Uganda
The Senior Human Resources (HR) Officer shall effectively be in charge of the implementation of policies and systems in the areas of training, development, performance management, employee welfare, staff committees and data management while advising and guiding staff on all human resource strategies, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the development and/or review of human resource policies and procedures, departmental strategy development and budgeting.
- Take lead in the monitoring of performance management activities, to ensure full participation of all staff and timely reporting while advising on best practice.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and follow up on training and development plans and budgets based on individual, departmental and corporate needs that seek to achieve the bank’s growth plans through a return on investment.
- Process and handle staff grievances effectively to create a conducive working environment and avoid strife. Advise supervisors on effective ways of dealing with staff grievances. Provide or recommend counselling services to staff where necessary.
- Keep staff abreast of developments in the HR department through regular communications. Take charge and update the intranet with appropriate HR related communication timeously. Monitor to ensure that staff meetings are held by all departments and country offices, minutes submitted and highlight issues to the HR Manager for action.
- Implement approved HR policies and procedures and advise staff on correct application ensuring clear understanding for purposes of compliance.
- Provide secretarial services to the human resource committees/meetings and keep all related records.
- Participate in the deployment of new staff by communicating to candidates and preparing all related correspondences including staff contracts, job descriptions; and coordinating inpatriation and all induction activities.
- Oversee staff separation activities including organising exit interviews, coordinating hand over of bank property, coordinating repatriation and maintaining all related records.
- Build and maintain up to date HR related computerised and manual data/ information while ensuring that staff personal files are under safe custody. Retrieve for usage, track and keep record of HR file/data movement.
- Oversee and implement staff welfare management activities as per agreed policies and procedures. The activities therein include but are not limited to; payroll, monitoring and reporting on leave, attendance and absence management, processing staff loans, medical and insurance cover for staff and their dependents, staff travel and per-diems, ensuring health and safety and processing overtime.
- Take responsibility for the day-to-day HR & administration cost centre requisitions with regards to routine expenditure while ensuring accountability and cost management.
- Carryout any other duties assigned by Management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Studies or Social Sciences from a recognised university;
- At least 6 years as a human resources professional in a large corporate or multilateral organization;
- A professional HR qualification, such as post graduate diploma in HR management;
- Membership of a professional human resources management institution;
- Master’s degree in Human Resource Management and /or a relevant MBA from a recognised university is an added advantage;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- High level of Integrity and confidentiality
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical thinking
- Results orientation and attention to detail
- Flexibility towards people and circumstances
- Imitative and pro-activity
- Planning and organisation skills