Duty station: Uganda
The Senior Communications and Public Relations Officer is responsible for planning, preparing and implementing public relations and corporate communication programmes to publicize the work of the East African Development Bank (EADB) to all stakeholders. The Senior Communications and Public Relations Officer is the focal point for all authorized communication and coordinates the development of the Bank’s communication strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the Bank’s liaison for authorized communication by coordinating publications, press releases/media advisories as well as press conferences and other media events for coherence and uniformity of messaging.
- Publicize the work of the Bank in the print and electronic media. Promote the Bank’s visibility through press releases, news articles and other related media campaigns. Design and implement communication programmes to mobilize public opinion in favour of the cause for the economic and social development of East Africa, regional integration and the Bank’s activities in the region.
- Serve as a media relations focal point for the Bank by dealing with queries from journalists. Conduct formal and informal meetings with journalists. Apply a proactive approach to media such as proposing/arranging conferences, media coverage, disseminating information materials, undertaking appropriate follow-up actions and analyzing/ reporting on the impact of coverage.
- Conduct media monitoring on a regular basis to keep staff abreast of related developments in the area of operation and banking; disseminate information gathered appropriately and advise management on pertinent issues reflected in the media that impact on Bank operations.
- Prepare, organize and conduct conferences and seminars to present the Bank’s views on major economic, political, social and financial initiatives in East Africa;
- Undertake branding tasks that promote the Bank’s visibility, identity and presence, distinguishing the Bank as the premier development finance institution in the region.
- Coordinate the marketing and corporate social responsibility aspects of the Bank, ensuring they are justifiable, sustainable and reach intended beneficiaries.
- Participate in developing and implementing an internal communication strategy that will guide the management in reaching out effectively to staff based in the country offices and at the Headquarters as well as improving communication flow within the Bank.
- Proactively manage the intranet with the assistance of IT, HR and other department heads. Manage information shared through the intranet, scrutinize and update the information regularly to ensure that it is suitable for the intended audience. Centrally disseminate internal communication as the single point of contact. Receive emails through the Bank’s general email account and respond/redirect them appropriately.
- With IT technical assistance, manage the EADB website to ensure it is updated and interactive. Prepare and edit information for the site ensuring credibility, timeliness and reliability as well as reflective of Bank’s image.
- Advise Management and staff on aspects of communication and public relations within and outside the Bank.
- Advise new staff on their diplomatic status, roles, conduct, protocol, et cetera to ensure that the Bank’s diplomatic image is maintained and/or promoted.
- Conduct regular research in area of responsibility and disseminate information appropriately to enhance knowledge, attitudes, opinions, and aspirations of the Bank’s major stakeholders.
- Prepare communication and public relations budgets, manage and monitor costs.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Management
Minimum qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Communication or related fields;
- Relevant postgraduate degree in Communication, Journalism, Business or related fields;
- Minimum of five years (5) experience in public information, journalism, or communications in the financial sector at senior level and possess demonstrable capacity for leadership;
- Diploma in international relations and experience in public relations will be added advantages;
- Experience in a financial institution, multilateral organization writing on economic development, business or financial matters;
- Research and analytical skills and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from various sources;
- Excellent writing skills and ability to prepare comprehensive and accurate papers, speeches and other presentation material;
- Up-to-date knowledge of current topics and issues and ability to identify communication opportunities and risks in a changing and complex economic, social and political environment;
- Must possess advanced technical knowledge, practical hands-on experience, highly developed technical skills to pre-empt, and to solve and manage complex issues effectively;
- IT skills to develop web–based interactive communications;
- Good presentation and public speaking skills;
- Excellent drafting and editing skills in English; and
- A good command of Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
- Pro-activity and creativity
- Tact and Diplomacy
- High level of integrity
- Networking skills with the ability to interact confidently with high profile individuals